Monday, February 20, 2012

Here's a new opening for "Discomfort," aka "Truant One."

We've been working on this play for months now, and based on the feedback everyone gave us during the workshop performances, I've been wrestling with set-up for the two unlovers. Here's the latest attempt, unless it really sucks. In that case, forget I mentioned it.


TIME
Now. Early Morning
(The lights come up on a nicely furnished two-bedroom apartment. It is night. There is just enough light so anyone entering would not enter a dark house. No one is seen. Then, on the stairs...)
EARL: If I die, promise me you'll tell the media I was found in a compromising position. 
JANICE: It's only five flights.
EARL: The penthouse?
JANICE: We do have roof access.
EARL: Promise me.
JANICE: Well, Penelope and Katharine in 5C have a stuffed parrot.
EARL: That's a start.
JANICE: And an alternative lifestyle. 
EARL: Better.
JANICE: And great-grandchildren.
EARL: Sold.
JANICE: I'll see what I can do. But it won't be necessary. Here we are. Home sweet--  (Realizes she doesn't have her keys.) Shit!
EARL: What?
JANICE: Shit, shit, shit ...
EARL: What?
JANICE: Hi.
EARL: Hi ...
JANICE: Could you? ... (Hands some of the contents of her purse to EARL.)
EARL: Sure.
JANICE: Thanks. ... And ... (Hands more to EARL.) Damn it.
EARL: Let me guess. You don't have your--
JANICE: Ummm. ... I haven't exhausted all the possibilities yet.
EARL: OK.
JANICE: But it doesn't look good. This is embarrassing.
EARL: It's fine.
JANICE: I'm such an idiot.
EARL: It's fine. You have a lovely hallway.
JANICE: Thanks.
EARL: I'm getting a chance to catch my breath. And, chagrin looks good on you.
JANICE: Thanks. ... I think.
EARL: It does. You wear it well.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment